Saturday 26 May 2018

Baby Cakes Blankets

As I may have mentioned before I don't like sewing especially not sewing in ends and while I have always fancied trying Fair Isle and stranded knitting the idea of making a whole blanket using those techniques was  a bit daunting, so when I saw a post on Instagram last year featuring the baby cakes blanket-in-ball from Cygnet yarns I was very, very tempted. I kept thinking of all the blankets I could make with this yarn and how I'd make them and what patterns I could come up with. It was only when I spent an entire mindfulness class meditating about them that I decided to just go ahead and get some.
When they first arrived I have to admit I was slightly disappointed, the colours seemed a bit more muted than they had on the internet and I had an image in my head of the blanket I wanted but no idea how to go about it. Eventually I settled on the Chevron Baby Blanket from Espace Tricot on Ravelry for the Blueberry Muffin colourway. And the more I knitted the more I loved this yarn again. It's acrylic but it feels kind of velvety, lovely and snuggly for a small baby.  

 


 I decided I wanted something a bit more lacy for the Battenburg colourway so I just used the free pattern on the ball band of the yarn. Again to start with I wasn't sure about the colours but the more I knitted the better they looked. And now that it's finished I'm really really happy with it. I think the colours and the lacy chevron effect work perfectly together.








 I've just started a third blanket using the Angel Cake colourway. I decided to use the Chevron Baby Blanket pattern from Espace Tricot but with a few variations. I cast on 149 stitches to give an extra chevron plus 2 extra stitches at the start and end of each row. I knit the first 6 rows in garter stitch and the first and last 3 stitches of each row are always knit. I've been purling the yarn overs on the wrong side rows as normal instead of through the back loop to give a more lacy effect.



 But, having finished 2 blankets and started a 3rd, I have just realised I still haven't made the one I had in mind this time last year. I know I wanted something plain and simple with a squared effect so I will keep thinking and pondering and maybe sometime soonish I will have the blanket of my imagination to share with you..

I

No comments:

Post a Comment